Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I can't want it more.

I don't know if it's because I'm the oldest of five kids.  I don't know if it's because I've already been through these things.  I don't know if it's because I'm particularly gifted with patience.

But.... wow.... I sure do have a tendency to take on way too much for the people I love.  And it may not even be that I'm taking something on, but I sure as heck am stressing out about the situation(s).

I'm realizing that I can't want it more than they do.

Here are some the things I want for people.  I want them:
-to have a great life
-to be responsible and secure financially
-to be around good people
-to be working towards future goals
-to be getting better as people
-to be happy and proud of themselves
-to make wise decisions
-to have fun, to travel, to play
-to do lucrative and fulfilling work
-to have great relationships

What happens when I "want it more" is that I do things for them that they should do for themselves.  I bail them out when they need to experience the consequences.  I let them get away with "murder" because they've had a hard life.

And that's on me.  I'm getting something out of that... like not having to be the "bad guy."  I get to be the savior, the rescuer, and eventually the martyr.  (Look at how much I suffer to do all this for you.)

That's bogus.  And it's over.

In the future, I will be your biggest fan.  I will be a safe place to land if everything goes to hell.  I will be your ally, your coach, or your drill sergeant.

And I won't bail you out.

Because you really can do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment